2012-05-05

On Experience

When you grow up too smart for your own good, you learn a few things.

The first is that most people (especially those in authority) don't like to be made to feel stupid. So don't be a know-it-all.

Every now and then, you will find someone who doesn't mind feeling less inferior to your intellect. Don't be a know-it-all around that person, especially.

Ask lots of questions, even if you already know the answer.

Don't pretend to know the answer to a question (even a dumb question) so you look smarter than you are.

And you learn about experience. It's important. And you can't fake it. No matter how many books you read, how many videos you watch, how smart you are, or how capable you are of figuring new things out, there is no substitute for experience.

I'm only two months old, in rugby years. I may understand the laws better than most of the people I play with, and I may have superior athletic abilities. But when it comes to decision making in a game setting, the more experienced player has the upper hand on me. Doesn't matter if I'm faster, smarter, and have a better understanding of the rules. That other girl is going to beat me, because she has experience, and I don't.

That drives me nuts! There's just no substitute for being around the sport for a long time.

So although this blog will recount my rugby escapades, and I'll share a lot of information, keep in mind that my analysis is not coming through the eyes of experience. My theories may be sound, in the end, you'll probably be better off listening to a seasoned coach, even if he's not that bright.

No comments: