2012-05-16

On Timing

Sometimes I wish that I had been exposed to rugby earlier. It would have been great to get involved with rugby when I was still in high school, looking for an alternative to volleyball and cross country (I was too lazy to run, and truly, truly awful at volleyball) once the other football players outgrew me. There was a rugby team at USC, and I catch myself thinking that I should have paid more attention while they were practicing, and I was running at the track.
Jamie from freshman year at USC. Extra large.
Then I think back to what I was like in high school and college. I wasn't athletic. I didn't understand what it was like to pursue excellence in sports (although I did have a very high academic standard for myself). I was overweight by a good 20 lbs.

And I think that if I had started rugby earlier, I wouldn't have had the time to develop into the person I am today. I wouldn't have gotten into triathlon, because I would have perceived rugby as less physical work (it's not), and I hadn't yet realized the joy of pushing myself out of my own comfort zone. I wouldn't have developed such a fierce competitive spirit; that came from winning in triathlons. And I would probably still be a good 20 lbs. overweight, pounds that were shed by focusing on triathlons, then yoga.
Lean Jamie!
I'm happy, then, that this sport came into my life at the right time. Still, I imagine what it would have been like to play for USC, or in a U23 game, and I wish I could have experienced it.

No comments: