2012-05-13

Practice: 5/13/2012


I drove over to the Clearwater High School practice fields today for a workout. Now that I think of it, I should have ridden my bike in. That would have been a good warm up.

Jog - 5 minutes
Dynamic warm ups
 - A skips
 - High knees
 - Butt kicks
 - Straight leg march
 - Walking RDL (inverted toe touch)
 - Low walk
Strength/plyo
 - Squat push - 4 x 6, each leg
 - Forward hops, both legs - 4 x 5, sprint 5 m at end
 - Forward hops, one leg at a time - 4 x 6 each leg (try to go 10 m each time)
Agility
 - Zig zag, using these focal points:
   - Hard cuts
   - Wedge step
   - Turn hips at last second
   - Keep head up
   - Stay aware of surroundings
 - Zig zap swerve
   - Turn hips
   - Accelerate and decelerate
   - Keep head up
   - Stay aware of surroundings
   - Shift ball to outside arm through each transition
Dummy practice
 - Dummy kick to inside, cut to outside (practice left and right)
 - Dummy kick to outside, cut to inside (practice left and right)
 - Dummy pass to inside, cut to outside (practice left and right)
 - Dummy pass to outside, cut to inside (practice left and right)
This is my passing target. Thank you, Clearwater High School Football,
for having this weird contraption sitting out on the field.
Passing practice
 - 6 perfect passes to target from 5 m on right
 - 6 perfect passes to target from 5m on left
Kicking practice
 - 5 chip kicks into a 5 m x 5 m square from 5 m away (left foot and right foot)
 - 5 chip kicks into a 5 m x 5 m square from 10 m away (left foot and right foot)
 - Practice grubbers with left foot and right foot
 - Practice drop kicks
 - Practice drop goals
Shuttle runs (down, back, down, through, touching line with each transition)
 - 2 x 10 m
 - 2 x 20 m
 - 2 x 30 m

A few notes:
- I feel good about my agility. Forcing myself to keep my head up will help with being more alert in a game situation. It doesn't substitute for practicing and playing with other people, but every benefit is a boon. My acceleration and deceleration are really good when swerving through the cones, from what I can feel. I'd love to have a coach to give me feedback, though.
- The dummy practice feels helpful. That's something I can use in play. I need to work on making my fakes more believable, though. I think agility comes down to waiting until the last moment to change your mind, then having the quickness and precision to change mid-movement, and still execute the next movement well.
- Passing through a tire is hard! I set my timer to devote 10 minutes to passing practice, and I was hoping to get through 6 on each side at 5 m and 6 on each side at 10 m. But the timer was going off and I had yet to get my sixth pass off the left hand! I could practice that every day, clearly.
- My left leg kicks like crap. It's better now than it was this morning, though!
- I made a drop goal! It was from somewhere between 5 and 10 m away, almost right between the uprights, but I made it!
- In case you want to do the shuttle runs: Begin with hips square, standing by a cone. Run to a cone 10 m away, touch your hand to the line/cone, run back to the first cone, then sprint through the second one. On that repetition, you should have run 40 m total, with hard cuts between. Practice the wedge step: planting your foot perpendicular to the direction you're sprinting and pushing hard off that leg to drive into the next phase of the sprint.
- The 10 m and 20 m shuttle runs weren't too bad, but that 30 m hurt!
- Progressions are important in training, so here's how I plan to progress my shuttle runs. Today, I rested as long as I wanted to between reps. Next week, I'll limit rest to 1 minute. The week after that, 45 seconds. The following week, 30 seconds. Then I'll do a pyramid workout: 2 x 10 m, 2 x 20 m, 2 x 30 m, 2 x 20 m, 2 x 10 m. Same progression with the rest periods. After I've finished both of those progressions, I'll try adding in 2 x 40 m!

No comments: